Thursday, October 14, 2004

#367 Wallflowers- Breach

Another good record. I haven't listened to this lately, as I got kinda Wallflower-ed out in the past two years... But this is still a good record. A really good rock record. It's not the kind of record that you have to sit back and contemplate, but its not stupid rock either. It's well-crafted songs with great melodies, and great musicianship besides.

Standout songs: Hand Me Down- "Now look at you, with your worn out shoes, Living proof evolution is through, we're stuck with you, the revolution's doomed." Pretty spiteful in a really beautiful way. Jakob does have one of the most beautiful rock voices.

Funny tid-bit: Though under the "The Wallflowers:" heading Mario Calire is credited as the drummer, Matt Chamberlain played all the drums on this record, as well as Bringing Down The Horse, but I think Mario finally recorded on Red Letter Days, but I could be wrong.

Special guests of mention: Mike Campbell (From The Heartbreakers), produced by Michael Penn, guest vocals by Frank Black, Elvis Costello, and Gary Louris to name a few.

Anyways, its a solid record. My favorite of theirs, I think. The front half is really strong. Not that the rest isn't strong, just not as strong. I don't know if I'd call it a must-have, but theres no good reason not to have it. Its a good rock record, with some little surprises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home