Friday, October 15, 2004

#340 Burning For Buddy- A Tribute to the Music of Buddy Rich

Well, this is one of the cds I own I've never listened to. It's a tribute cd to Big Band/Jazz drummer Buddy Rich. Um, what can I say about it... It's long. It's good I guess... Buddy was obviously a great drummer, and a very influential one. I tend to dig more of the Bebop Jazz than the Big Band stuff, but it's not horrible... All of the drummers on the record are well-known, in the drummer world. Simon Phillips, Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, Matt Sorum (yeah from G'n'R), Steve Smith, Neil Peart, Manu Katche, Billy Cobham, Max Roach, Rod Morgenstein, Kenny Aronoff, Omar Hakim, Ed Shaughnessy, Joe Morello, Bill Bruford, Marvin "Smitty" Smith, and Steve Ferrone. My only problem with a lot of these guys is that the old jazz guys were so smooth... Not in their playing, they were smooth looking, smooth talking, they were damn good drummers to. But a lot of these drummers are too fusion (jazz/rock), to many fucking fast rolls, not the same feeling that the old guys had. It's probably gonna prove to be a good cd to practice along to. But somehow listening to it, you just get a feeling that most of these drummers are douchebags. This is probably why I never listened to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home