Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Radio radio

This began as a response to a post on Brian's blog, so if it kinda doesn't make sense read his blog, specifically the post entitled something like "Finally a blog post where I don't talk about drinking or places I usually wouldn't be."

I've been going through the same kind of thing lately (finding a lot of new records boring). There hasn't been a lot that's completely knocked my socks off. While I like both new Bright Eyes records a lot, and I really think the Killers record is fun, I haven't had much desire to check out a lot of new stuff. I mean, I always want to hear it, but nothing has really gotten my attention lately, at least nothing "new." I hate to be that guy, but I do think with the rise in popularity of all things "indie" that a lot of what's coming out isn't very good. I don't really get why everyone and their iPods are wacking over Death Cab for Cutie- they're good, but everyone wants to "hit that," so to speak. Now I do think that the new Modest Mouse is better or as good as previous records, in fact I like it more than Moon and Antartica which is still a fabulous record. But whatevs.

I've been listening to a lot of old stuff too, my collection, and stuff from the library. I've probably checked out 75 cds since I started here, and one book. I've been really into Elvis Costello/Elvis Costello and the Attractions/Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach. Which reminds me, last night there was a movie on cable called Prison Song starring Elvis Costello as (in the 20 seconds that I watched it) a Jewish looking middle school teacher. I could be wrong. I only watched maybe 20 seconds worth. I have also been listening to a lot of jazz, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, St. Germain (a lucky find), and this one disc thats really hot, Frank Sinatra live with Count Basie and his Big Band, or something like that. Also been listening to a lot of movie music, specifically weirder stuff- Twin Peaks/Angello Badalmenti stuff, Moulin Rouge, Trainspotting. I also finally checked out The Cocteau Twins (BBC Sessions). They were always one of those bands that I had seen in Magnet and such, but had never checked out. I was pretty impressed. I've found myself listening to more stuff like that lately. The funny thing was I picked up that disc when I was working and listened to it at work, but I had to listen to it quietly. Some of the bad 80's-ness of it disappears at lower volumes. But still good.

As far as the no good new music thing, I have two thoughts:

1. When we were younger/junior high/high school/early college, music was really good. Maybe more than we recognized.
2. A lot of bands do put out really great early records and then kinda filter off later on. There's nothing elitist in saying that.
3. (Yeah I know I said I had two thoughts) I think also when we were younger, we had less of a database of music in our minds, which meant that everything new and interesting was way more new and interesting. Now, we're so overloaded that it takes more to get us going. But there is good stuff out there. Keep looking for it. Let me know when you find it.

1 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Blogger Brian said...

I really like your thoughts at the end. Good points. Call me anytime to discuss this stuff, if it suits you. I'm hardly ever online. DonutsCollege is still the best name to find me under. Also, somewhere in the recesses of my records I think I have the complete unabridged Count Basie/Frank recordings that were out on Reprise--see if thats what you're listening to, because I may have more. I knew a girl once whose mom won the entire 20-disc frank/Reprise boxed set on the day I met her family. I managed to burn half of it or so.

ANyway, gotta go to bed. Hey, what's your snailmail address? I'll send you a CD of hot shit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home