Tuesday, July 19, 2005

This Just In...

I just decided I'm going to start "Judge A Book By It's Cover Week" (or Month, or however long it goes on). Except it's going to be CDs, not books. I hope to definitively find out whether or not one can in fact Judge A Book By It's Cover. Here are the rules...

The CD must be one I am not familiar with. The artist I can be. It could be a CD that I own, but haven't really listened to, or one that I've heard, but not "heard." Just not one I'm familiar with. I'm hoping that it will all be new stuff. The following categories will be used...

Artist Name
Album Name
Description of Cover/Packaging
First impression
Side notes (band members/related artists/record label/etc.)
General "genre"
Impression after listening
Short review

I'm sure I'll find a lot of shit, but maybe I'll find something along the lines of The Late Greats' "Turpentine" or K-Settes starring Butcher's Blind. So tune in. "Judge A Book By It's Cover Week" (or Month, or however long it goes on) (also known as J.A.B.B.I.C.W.O.M.O.H.L.I.G.O aka jabbicwomohligo) starts tomorrow.

Feel free to send me suggestions (CDs that you've seen and thought by the cover you may like, but never got around to listening to). I will try to find them at the library.

P.S. If you can ever get a job at a library (especially one where you work within 20 feet of the music section all day, you should take it. It allows you to play fun little games like this.

4 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Did you get or hear that black country music box set? How was that? Wanna make me a copy?

Actually, same goes for Leadbelly's Last Session. WE should star wholesale music whoring to each other...I can certainly give you some records to judge by their covers.

Keep up the good work. I like your blog. I feel like your personality comes off in it really well, like Dan said a couple posts ago, it does make me miss seeing you. So, take care. Back to work for me.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Brian, I haven't listened to that Black Country Music set thing yet, though I do have it. I'll put it on my computer before I return it, but I'm out of CDs right now. Leadbelly's Last Session is also on my computer. Actually, that Black Country Music set may be my first "J.A.B.B.I.C.W.O.M.O.H.L.I.G.O." since I did assume by the cover that I'd like it.

Thanks about all those nices things you said. I'm thinking towards the end of summer (August/September) I wanna get some people together... Something like a weekend where TWS are playing one night and then the other night we get together, cook out, listen to obscure records, etc. We should do something like that. A bunch of people. I'll bring some liquor.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger DannnnnMCMAhonnnnnnn said...

that is an amazing idea.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger jill said...

so your post reminds me of my now favorite reality tv quote of all time. i think it was on mtv, but it was like an elimidate type show. if you don't know what that is--it's when some guy or girl gets to date a few people all at once and then pick them off like ducks in a duckpond. anyway, after this one super snobby chick got eliminated by a grunge-type guy, she said this:

"i usually judge a book by its cover and this time i didn't and it bit me in the ass...

...

HATE

BOOKS."

i just laughed and laughed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home