Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Tain't No Sin Sandwiches, Inc.

In association with Brian's most recent post, I'd like some help "genre-filing" some bands. P.S. This is supposed to be fun, and simultaneously make fun of genres- not like "math rock is stupid," more like "who came up with the idea of calling the music someone makes math rock? that's fucking stupid." I don't like genre's. I can't keep up with them. Anywho, here goes. Genre-fy away.

1. The Reindeer Section
2. Tom Waits
3. Reggie and The Full Effect
4. The Presidents of the United States of America
5. Pink... After she got Mizzundastud or whatever
6. Iron and Wine
7. Massive Attack
8. Azure Ray
9. Loose Fur
10. Grandaddy
11. Grandpaboy
12. The Talking Heads
13. The Cocteau Twins
14. At The Drive-in
15. The Anniversary... Only their second record
16. Pavement
17. The Rat Pack
18. Sweet Honey in The Rock (or and the rock, I don't know what they're called for sure)
19. The Shins
20. The Shirts

So here's how it goes... Genre-fy any or all of these. As specific as possible... Like I'd say... Reggie and The Full Effect= thug-emo-pop-rap or something. If you don't know a band, make something up. Double points for actual stupid genres (i.e. freak folk). I'll total the points, and declare a winner.

2 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Okay--I don't have 'em all, but here are a few:

The Reindeer Section are Scotish Menage-a-Pop. Or Perhaps Gangbang Rock, but that sounds too harsh.

Grandaddy are different. For "Under The Western Freeway" I'd have to say Lo-fi Post-Glitch Pop. For their last album I'd have to call out "Mediocre Shimmer Pop" or "Two Sandwiches Short of a Better Band"

The Mars Volta are Prog Rock without the fun. I dont' know enough to say for sure, but for the sake of generalization I'm going to lump ATDI with that one too.

Tom Waits is also varied. In the early albums, he was definitley Music For the Night Before (as opposed to Music For The Morning After.) There are tons for him. The Black Rider is clearly Vaudeville from The Circle of Hell that Holds Bad Germans.

Loose fur is what we shoul call "Crappy Side Project Rock." Or "Delusions of Ubu." or something else prejorative, that's for sure.

This is a pretty fun game for driving around in my car.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Mike Pape said...

Azure Ray is Hot Acoustic Whisper-Pop. The Presidents of the USA are Post-Grunge-Proto-Pop-Punk. Pink is Horse-Faced Pretend Rock. The Cocteau Twins are John Schmid Music.

That's all I know.

Sory it took me so long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home