Wednesday, February 16, 2005

I'm wide awake, it's morning

Yeah, so the new Bright Eyes records. I've heard one. Not the other. I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning. It's really what I expected after the last record and the song on that Lost Highway sampler. I know all the emos will probably be like "Why is our emo god singing country music... boo." But fuck the emos if they can't take it. I think it's the most advanced song writing that he's given us yet. There's so many layers, you have to listen to it a few times to hear everything that's going on. Plus, I really like that he sounds like he's doing a lot better. I like that it sounds like he's having a lot of fun with these songs, which is what I got out of a lot of the Lifted... songs. Some of the slower softer songs remind me of more recent Damien Jurado stuff. Kinda eerie folk songs that are really pretty and strange at the same time.

Anyways, that's that. I really need to get the new Loretta Lynn record. I don't know why I haven't yet, besides being unemployed for a long time. That will most likely be my next purchase. I've been checking out a bunch of cd's at the library. Since I started working here I've checked out the Twin Peaks soundtrack (really good), the Baz Luhrmann cd Something For Everyone (not as good), a previously mentinoed Bob Dylan cd (haven't actually listened to it), two Beth Orton cd's Trailer Park and Central Reservations, a Julee Cruise cd (the girl singer with really blonde hair in Twin Peaks), a Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds album No More Shall We Part, and the soundtrack to Until The End of The World which is a movie that kind of sounds familiar with a really good soundtrack (R.E.M., Julee Cruise, Lou Reed, Neneh Cherry, Elvis Costello, Nick Cave, Patti Smith, k.d. Lang, T-Bone Burnett, Daniel Lanois, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode, and U2). The last two I haven't listened to yet either. But that's about it for me. Time for work. More later.

Now listening to: Bright Eyes I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home